Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ketchup

I've really fallen behind in the blogging department this month. Its a lot like what happens when you go too long between talking to an old dear friend. So much happens, and the more time passes, the more daunting playing catch-up becomes. Suddenly years have gone by and you're being invited to the friend's kid's wedding and you're all, "where does the time go?" So before that happens and I find myself at my blog's kid's wedding, here's where time has gone in May:

Max sits up all on his own for long periods of time, happily playing with his current favorite toys-a Playskool bus and an empty box. No end to the delights of watching me put little toys in the box so he can dump them out. No. End.

We just got back from a trip to Madison for a good friend's wedding. It was beautiful. My mom met us and hung out with Max (introducing him to State Street and a homeless Vietnam vet named Stick who is apparently Max's new bff) while Dave and I got dressed up and had a fantastic time. I think it was a first for me since Max was born in several ways. I had my first hangover, first time being called a MILF (in front of my husband who responded by fist-pumping) and my first night out where I didn't anxiously obsess over what my child was doing without me.





Max started solids and I started working. I'm renting a chair at a salon and loving it. I got to make my own brochures, pricing, hours etc. Its exciting to be self-employed and also nice to get out of the house and develop an island identity apart from Max's mom and Dave's wife. It was while I was at work one Saturday morning that Daddy decided to give Max cereal. Without me! I wasn't mad...just surprised. A good time was had by all and I think it was a good "first" for Dave to have with his son. Since then, we've been following the Baby Led Weaning approach (I kind of hate that every single parenting decision has a capitalized title. Why can't it just be "giving my kid the same food we eat, including him in our mealtimes and letting him play with textures and tastes until he figures out what he likes and doesn't like and how much he wants to eat, all while continuing to nurse him on demand as his main source of nutrition until at he's at least one year old"?) So far its messy and interesting. Not really any food makes it into his mouth. He's just experimenting right now...however, he seems to like bell peppers, seaweed and tamari rice cakes (I know. What?), and what he had for breakfast this morning-Cheerios, plain yogurt and breastmilk all smooshed together.



And finally...Max is learning to drive!

1 comment:

  1. He is growing up so fast! Where did all that hair come from?? Healthy and happy lookin' young lad - good job, mom!

    ReplyDelete